Saturday 30 May 2009

Is it a good time to do an MBA in UK?

Hi folks,

I always wondered if this blog would serve its purpose and if it would actually be of any use to anybody. My intention as I have mentioned earlier was to provide info about SBS to help you make a decision, to provide insights which I never had when I decided to shift to UK. Let me tell you at this point, I am overwhelmed by the response from the readers. Since my last post in Nov 2008, I have recieved over 3000 mails from across the world. I had taken a break from updating this blog since I was finding it difficult to squeeze out time from my hectic work schedule in London. But I have realized that it's unfair on my part to not respond to the numerous queries since I was the one who started this with a mission to help all who want to become a part of the SBS family. So please accept my sincere apologies for not being around all this while. And hey, I am back now!

There's a lot of catching up to do and let me start by answering a very common question - Is it a good idea to do an MBA in UK given the financial crisis?

The answer is yes and no. 

For me doing an MBA was a major investment and a great risk. When I say investment I am not just referring to money. Typically someone joining an MBA program in a good business school has about 3 to 5 years of quality work experience. The average age in my class at Strathclyde Business School was 29. It takes great courage to leave a well paying job and invest one year of your life (2 years if you are not doing it from UK) to chase a dream for a better future. And it's risky since you don't know if you will be able to cope up with the pressure and even if you do what lies on the other end of the year can never be predicted. Let's take my example. 

I was a brand manager in one of the largest media coglomerates in India and simply loved my job. But I wanted to push myself further and see how people do business around the world. I wanted a career shift into consulting. Thats the reason why at the age of 28, I decided to give everything up and do an MBA from Starthclyde. I spent all my savings to pay for the course. Mid 2008 when I was well into my MBA program the global economic crisis started getting worse and by the time I graduated most of the firms I wanted to join were reducing headcount to stay competitive. To be honest with you, I was extremely distressed. However I decided not to give up. I shifted from Glasgow to London since I felt the city offered more opportunity in the area of my interest. For 5 months I applied for positions in all the firms I was interested in and recieved nothing but rejections. The unemployment figure in UK crossed 2 million in March 2009. So here I was in one of the most expensive cities in the world with two MBA degrees, 5 years of work-ex in a mid-management position and no job! My savings were all gone and to sustain myself I did part-time jobs at retail stores. I even worked as a traffic surveyor for Transport for London for a few weekends ! Not so long ago I could dine with my girlfriend at any 5-star restaurant in India and now there were days when I had less than £5 in my wallet. It might sound dramatic but there were times when I had no money to buy cigarettes and trust me it hurts...it breaks your morale. 

But I didn't give up. 5 months after graduating from Strathclyde I finally got the break I was looking for. I got an offer from the consulting division of Deloitte in London.

So, if you asked me whether it is a good time to do an MBA in UK, I would ask you to weigh your options. UK is going through a very difficult phase right now. The markets may improve and there are some early signs of the same but to my understanding it would not be before well into 2011 that we can breathe easy. If you do choose to join an MBA program in UK it may be prudent to return to your native country or start something on your own or take up a job anywhere in the world which is less affected by the recession. However if you want to build a career here I suggest you prepare yourself for a lot of struggle. In case your plan is to work in UK, there are a few things I would advise you to consider:

1) Do you have a specific skillset which has a global appeal? So for example if you are a SAP expert or have experience in high finance (derivatives market, hedge fund etc) you have a better chance of getting a good job.

2) Some industries are less affected as compared to others. So for example if you have a solid background in Oil & Gas or experience in a niche area within IT or Management Consulting you might find it easier.

3) If you have prior experience of working with an MNC preferably in Europe its a good advantage. Prior UK experience is a great bonus.

4) More than level of education, UK places emphasis on years of experience. So if you have substantial years of  mid-management level experience it will help.

5) If you are eligible to work in EU countries without requiring a visa it is a great advantage. 

6) If you are fluent in a few major european languages like French, German, Spanish or Italian apart from English its a great selling point.

I hope this post gives you a few useful pointers. Keep mailing and putting up comments on the posts and I shall try my best to resolve your queries.

20 comments:

Crabapples said...

hi,
I have the profile you mentioned, IT (3 years) in SAP :) I have an offer from Bradford, waiting on Strath, Durham, Glasgow and Nottingham. Can you rate the universities I have applied to please. I definitely need a job and am aware of the terrible situation in UK. could use some advise.

Subodh said...

Hi ,
Its good to see your blog. Its provides a base to naive people like us vying for an MBA in the UK.
I have been working with Atos Origin India Pvt. Ltd. for 3.5 years in SAP ABAP and have a proficient techno-functional knowledge.
I have an admit from University of Strathclyde . Should i go ahead with the administrative process or defer to the next year ? The tuition fees have been raised to 21000 GBP . I shall be availing an educational loan for the same.
Kindly provide some insight to help me resolve my dilemma :D

Sambit Banerjee said...

hello subodh,

you certainly have a good background...it might be a good thing to explore the option of taking a transfer to atos uk. as i mentioned in my previous post the job market in uk is at its worst since the 2nd world war.

if you can't get a transfer to atos uk, is it possible for you to get a job in any prominent firm in uk before you join the MBA program? that way you will have a relevant UK experience (and its crucial you have one). Even if you get a job at a lower salary take it just to make a move to UK. You will then stand to get a much higher package after MBA with your past work-ex and UK exposure.

If the above advice is not plausible, then think hard before coming over to UK for the MBA. Markets ARE improving but there is no guarantee you will get the dream break as soon as you complete the program. Be mentally (and financially!) prepared to slog.

I don't want to sound like the devil's advocate but this is the reality which you should be aware of.

Cheers!!

Sambit Banerjee said...

Hello Crabapples,

The best way to compare B-Schools is by checking out the Times, Guardian and FT rankings.

While I might sound biased I would say Strat is a better brand name than the other universities you mentioned. But then I would strongly suggest you to do your research well before taking up an offer.

The culture of an university is also something you need to consider. Strath is good for professionals with solid international experience. You do have a good background but do a bit of research on the alumni profiles of uni which you want to join.

I feel that any time is good to do an MBA provided you have a clear gameplan of what you want to achieve after completing it. I am sure you are following the news. The recent figures from the govt. shows there is a minor improvement in the UK economy and there are early signs of stabilization. So if your plan is to start a career in UK and you start the program this year, you might just be lucky to come out on the other side of recession. With Olympics planned in 2012 there would definitely be a positive movement in the labour market.

Cheers!

kaarthi said...

hi sambit,

it was really a nice blog wher u have given real time inputs to the people like us, who are plannin for an MBA in UK.

Right now im workin for RBS in india.. just having a year of experience..

but i have a good track of academics like .. im a Bcom Graduate (Accounting & Finance) + MCA (Master Of Computer Applications) + PG in Cyber Crime in Asian Law School (Pune) + Sun Java Certified Programmer..

i hope this academic background & Work Exp in RBS is sufficient to get a job after my MBA..

i have been monitoring the economy in UK for the past 6 months.. I knew how much the finance sector have suffered..

Anyways i have been plannin for 2010 Batch..

once again thank you for ur inputs.. it was really helpful.

i want to see ur blog runnin forever. so that people gets the best inputs like this and gets the feel.

kaarthi said...

i would love to link ur blog in my website.

so it would be helpful for the needed.

Sambit Banerjee said...

Hi Kaarthi,

Your academic background is really impressive. And the fact that you are working for RBS adds to your resume. Do you work in IT in the banking industry? I had mentioned in a previous post that its very important to have work-ex in a global firm to break into the job market in UK. So if you get to a mid-management level before joining Strath in 2010 it will reflect really well in your CV.

You are also right about the current slump in the financial sector. However things are slowly getting better.By the time you graduate in 2011 the market should be up on its feet again. So keep up the good work and see you in UK soon. Maybe we can share a pint in the opening ceremony of London 2012 Olypmics!

Cheers!

Sambit Banerjee said...

Hi Karthi,

I am happy that you find my blog useful. It's meant to be that way. So feel free to share the link so that more and more people have access to the information which can aid their decision making process.

I am a big fan of opensource and anything free :-)

Cheers

Vikram said...

Hi Sambit,
A lot of my questions already got answered with your blog. Thanks a lot…!!!


I have an offer in hand form Strathclyde. But like many others, finding it difficult to take a bold decision.

It will be so helpful if you can advice.

To share my profile, I am a Computer Engineer with 4 years of experience in Avionics Software development. Now I am working in Bangalore for a major US aircraft component manufacturing MNC.

For my MBA studies, I am planning to take educational loan to meet all expenses.

I just would like know abut the risk factor involved. Kindly advice me about the possibility of getting a job in UK with my profile.

And if I fail to find a job in UK, are there chances to get employed in India after UK MBA?

Please advice.

Unknown said...

Hi,

I have MBA admission offer from EADA Spain and University of Glasgow.

Which school is better in terms of:
1. International Reputation.
2. Qaulity of education.
3. Post MBA job opportunities in UK/Europe.

My Profile:
My Profile:
-----------

India
PG-Diploma in advanced computing (75.89%)
Bachelor of Engineering in computer Sceince (76.33%)
Exp: Presently more than 5 yrs of exp as a software developer (more than 6 years by the time programme starts in Sep 2010)
I worked with TCS and right now working with a USA based MNC in Bangalore.

a(di)scovery said...

Hi Sambit,
Your blog is really amazing in its content. I have an offer from bradford and strathclyde. as others i'm confused. I'm awaiting a loan approval from a bank.

My profile: is BE mechanical with 3.5yrs of experience from insurance sector which are al UK based, ICICI Prudential then with AVIVA AND NOW WITH BRILA SUN LIFE. Its scary to look at the overall scenario but have been into equities and want to take the risk, kindly help me. GMAT is 550 and IELTS is 7.5


Awaiting ur reply
Adithya H

Ruella said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ruella said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ruella said...

Hi,

This Blog is seriously very helpful to get a current understanding of the market scenario in Uk as well as the factors to be considered before taking a decision.

I have received offer letters from Strathclyde and Bath for MBM and Msc Management respectively. The reason i find the MBM course more appealing is because it offers the option to convert it into an MBA few years down the line. The Msc Management course in Bath is also very good. I would like your suggestion on this.

I am an Indian, working with a management consulting company and will have 2 yr work ex by coming june. Im 22 and the age factor as well as the lack of sufficient work ex hold me from pursuing my MBA from some of the best colleges. I thought of completing my masters from a good college and then at a later stage do an MBA from a good univ.But Strathclyde MBM seems to be a good option as well.

Kindly let me know your take on this

Confused Soul said...

Hi,

I find your blog very interesting..I have recently received offers from Lancaster , Edinburgh & Strathclyde for Masters in Management and MBM respectively...I am a little confused as to which to choose..

My background is 2 years of work exp in Schneider Electric as a Quality Engineer and a Industrial Eng & management BE degree from RV college of Engg...Could you give your opinion as to what I have ot do??
In FT rankings for Ms in Mangament Strath ranks higher than Lancaster etc but in FT for Business scholl rankings Strath comes after Lancaster....
Could you also tell me what would be the better option if I come back to India??

Koushal said...

Thanks for sharing such a nice information on MBA UK, for more details please click on Business School.

Manoj Vyas said...

Great information.Thanks for sharing this useful information with all of us.Keep sharing more in the future.

UK Universities in India

Anonymous said...

Hi Subodh,

I felt great reading your blog. It is truly very informative and an eye opener. I have got admission in the MBM course at Strathclyde and at Manchester Business School for the Msc International and Business management. I have taken a lot of time considering the options but failed to reach to a final conclusion. I am a B.Tech in Computers and have an experience of 6 months working as a Media Analyst in Genpact. I would be really thankful if you could help me with same. I have heard manchester has a brand name but Strath stands fairly good in the FT rankings.

Best regards,
Shailja

aishah said...

Students regularly neglect the significance of personal statements in business applications. You can review this website for expert help for innovative interesting statement, so it can have a significant effect in your application. Hopefully, it really helps you!

Michael Sheen said...

Wonderful article. I’m satisfied that you simply shared this helpful information with us. Thank you so much.

medicine graduate courses in abroad 2019