Thursday 13 November 2008

Doing an MBA from Strathclyde

Hello reader,

The fact that you are on this blog is a proof that you are interested in doing an MBA from UK and perhaps contemplating on doing it from Strathclyde Business School. Well thats a good start!

Trust me I know exactly know what you are going through. I was in your position a little more than a year ago. I was born and brought up in India. In Kolkata to be precise. Like many of you I had a humble background but great dreams. After working with the ABP group (the people who own Star News) in Brand management for about 4 years, I decided to leave my comfort zone and the prospect of organic growth. Hence the Strathclyde MBA...

It was a bold decision to leave a cushioned job and venture out to study in a foreign country which called for an investment of over 25 Lacs INR. But having been here and done that I can look back and say it was a wise decision.

As I see it now, the journey through my last 2 years can be divided into 3 phases:

Phase-1: Researching on the Strathclyde MBA
Phase-2: Pursuing the Strathclyde MBA
Phase-3: Life after a Strathclyde MBA

In this blog I would take you through each of these phases and try and give out the tips to overcome the problems I faced. Joining a top MBA program is difficult, but it is even more difficult to complete the program successfully. Keep visiting this space as I tell you how to secure an educational loan, the best strategy to apply for the Strathclyde MBA, how to find a suitable accomodation in Glasgow, how to tackle the assignments and dissertation, how to find a part-time job while you are studying, how to apply for a Visa extension after completing the MBA and so on...

Change is never easy, but then it promises a better tomorrow. Now that you have embarked on the journey of your lifetime, use this blog as your routemap. Fasten your seatbelts and enjoy the ride!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
First of all hats off to such a comprehensive site.. . I am planning to pursue 2009 mba From strathclyde-have around 9 years of IT management and PRINCE2 consultant experience(7 months UK experience and 2+ years with Logica
). I would like to move into strategic consulting post-MBA . With respect to job hunt, is there a concept of campus placements(IBB, PWC, Royal bank of scotland and accenture some of my eyed ones) or we would follow up POST-MBA/during MBA for offline recruitments? I know MBA is not just for job, I am just concerned being a father of 2 year old daughter and considering currnet economic doldrums. Has students faced situations like -forced to leave UK Post-MBA with no good jobs?
regards
viswa

Anonymous said...

Who told u ABP group owns Star News? Dont put such junk in your CV

Sambit Banerjee said...

Hi Anonymous,

Thanks for your comments on 12 December 2008 and my apologies for not replying earlier. Let me try and answer your queries one by one:

1) In UK the companies put a lot of value on previous work-ex and you seem to have plenty! It's also a bonus to have UK experience. With your background and Prince2 certification you are ideally placed to go in for a good project management job in UK

2) As far as I know, none of the B-Schools in UK have campus placement. However every school has a career department which helps out by providing info and leads on jobs of your interest. Also there are companies which come for presentations in the campus and attend career fairs. The B-School also organizes networking events where you can speak to company reps and find out more about jobs.

3) RBS and Accenture are active recruiters in UK and you would see lot of action from them in career fairs and job sites.

4) You have mentioned having a family and thus the added responsibility. Given the economic crisis that is going on now in UK and other developed economies, the job market here has shrunk drastically. Many of my batch mates have taken up jobs in their home countries due to this. It might be a good move to wait it out for a year and then join the MBA program. Hopefully then when you graduate in 2011, markets would move up again. Also don't forget the London Olympics in 2012 which would effect the economy positively.

5) You mentioned your daughter's age is 2 years now. If you join the MBA program in 2010, she would be 4 years by then and you can put her in primary school here which is free. Guess it makes all the sense to wait for one year. However I can only provide suggestions, the final call is up to you.

Hope this response answers some of your queries. Please don't hesitate to shoot your questions at any time. You may subscribe to the blog to receive regular updates as a follower.

Sambit Banerjee said...

Dear Anonymous,

Thanks for your comment on 21 December 2008.

Star News is owned by Media Content and Communications Services (MCCS) which is a joint venture between the ABP Group and STAR with ABP owning the controlling stakes. That is why I mentioned Star News is owned by ABP Group. You can check the corporate website at: www.abp.in

Anonymous said...

Nice Blog !!

How do you see Strathclyde MBA post credit crunch? Is it still worthy to invest 25 Lakhs in these times?

Thanks for your inputs :)

Saraswati Kheterpal said...

Hi

I find this blog quite useful.
Can you write something about Sthrathclyde MBA Interview which is part of their admission process?

Rahul said...

Firly of all I would appreciate your effort to put down your experience on a common forum for the benifit of other people travelling on the same boat that you travelled couple of years back.

Like others I too have a question.
I have received a mail stating that my application is successful but with the condition of satisfactory interview.

Could you please guide me with the process and approx how much time the university takes for further communication. Also an brief over view of interview along the questions asked would really help.

Looking forward for your reply, hopefully before I get intv call :)

Thanks,
Rahul

Power Addict Down Under said...

Hello,
Your blog is a boon to people like me ..very informative and trust me i am eagerly waiting for your next post. I work in HCL and i have 4 years of experience. Just wanted to know is it fair with this much experience to apply or shall i wait?

Felcy said...

Hey, nice site you have here! Keep up the excellent work!


Mba Coursework Help

Anonymous said...

Hi there!!

I am Ateet Chauhan from INDIA and I am going to pursue MBM 2012-2013 from Strathclyde Business School.

I have one query regarding the campus placements. I would like to know if there are any campus placements for students pursuing MBM.

dheeraj said...

hi,
i hope this blog would do some miraculous for me....i am planning to do MBM from Strathclyde business school. As Mr. sabmit banerjee, done your mba from glasgow. Basically i'm persuing my bba with no work experience i hope mbm is the best option to do a masters from abroad.

Sir if you can suggest me something. I'm from business family and want to expand my dad's business. my dad's business is related to trading with a turnover of about 15-20 crores. Will MBM from srathclyde would be good for me or not??

way2 college said...

NICE BLOG!!! MBA is considered to be one of the most preferred post graduation course among the world today. Business management is currently the most sought after career option in the entire globe. Thanks for blogging...
Top MBA Colleges in India
Best MBA Colleges in India